A first step in creating our Red Bird was to trim the sky fabric with a pinking blade or pinking shears.
The pinked edge of this fabric lends itself to a decorative finish. A finish perfect for the Fly Stitch.
- Center the sky fabric on the background fabric. Stitch tack into place.
- Stitch Fly Stitches following the pinked edge of the sky fabric while attaching it to the backing fabric. Use a size 8 pearl cotton thread (like Lime Frappe).
- Remove the tacking stitches.
- Stitch French Knots inside each Fly Stitch on the border. Use a size 12 pearl cotton thread (like Red Hots).
- Trim the background fabric to within 1/4″ of each edge of the sky fabric.
I’d love to see your version of Red Bird. Send an image to me at laura@ artfabrik.com. Thanks for joining me!