As you complete your little embroidery, I hope to see images of your final designs. Email a photo to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If you’re just joining us, see a list of materials on Frieda’s Nut House Stitch-Along Tutorial page and complete Steps 1 – 15.
- Stitch Chain Stitches in a large arc across on the background fabric from the upper edges of the right side of the sky to make the sun. Stitch the arc to measure about 1 1/2″ in diameter making the outline of the sun. Use a size 12 thread (like Butter) and a size 5 or 7 embroidery needle.
- Continue to stitch Chain Stitches in rows right next to each other following the same arc to fill in the sun shape.
- Stitch wavy rows of Chain Stitches horizontally across the background fabric to make clouds. Use a size 12 thread (like Ocean).
- Stitch the clouds to within 1/4″ of the sides and top edges of the fabric.
- Carefully trim the background fabric square if necessary leaving a scant 1/4″ of fabric around the edges for stitching the design to the backing fabric.
- Center and pin the embroidery to the backing fabric.
- Stitch-tack the embroidery onto the backing fabric.
- Stitch Blanket Stitches around the edge of the background fabric attaching it to the backing fabric. Use a size 8 pearl cotton thread (like Lettuce) and a size 3 embroidery needle.
- Trim the edges of the backing fabric to within 1/4″ of the background fabric.
- Label your embroidery with your name and date.
- Congratulations on making your nut house!