It’s a sunny day in the country! In this step we add a decorative sun in the sky using 2 basic hand embroidery stitches- the Blanket Stitch and the French Knot.
Our sunny thread colors also repeat the same colors used in other parts of the stitchery to lend balance to the design.
Step #9- Stitch the Sun
- Stitch Blanket Stitches with the points facing out and following the running stitches that mark the sun shape.
- Use a size 8 pearl cotton thread (like Sunrise) and a size 3 hand embroidery needle.
- Stitch to within 1/4″ of the fabric edges
- Remove the running stitches.
- Stitch a row of Blanket Stitches following the curve of the first row of Blanket Stitches so the tines of the stitches touch the previous row. Use that same thread.
- Continue to add rows of Blanket Stitches with the tines of the Blanket Stitches touching the previous rows of Blanket Stitches to make rows of box shapes.