Like a journal or photo album, quilts illustrate the stories of our lives.
Capture the essence of your story and transform it into an original fused art quilt. Using your own sketch, photo, or even vague idea, you’ll make a custom pattern for your design using a digital camera, computer, and projector provided by Laura.
You’ll learn fusing basics, how to create improvisational quilts, and a quick pattern transfer method that lets you freely translate your ideas into fabric.
It’s easy to create original designs and to tell your own story in cloth. $20 Kit Fee.
Supplies Participants Should Bring for the Multiple Day Workshop:
– A sketch, photo, image, or idea to trigger the quilt design.
– 10 – 20 yards of paper backed Pellon Wonder-Under (#805) fusible web. All the fabrics used need fusible web and that is why so much is needed (really!). Please DO NOT BRING HEAT ‘N BOND or STEAM A SEAM.
– Fabrics for the Quilt:
– Bring washed batik or hand-dyed fabrics. These fabrics work best in raw edge fusing. (Printed fabrics will show a white line around the raw edge of the fabric.)
– Bring a variety of colors and values that relate to your quilt idea.
– Bring enough fabric to create a quit measuring, at maximum, 50″ x 50″.
– I will have some hand dyed fabrics for sale in the classroom.
– DO NOT BRING FABRIC WITH A PERMANENT PRESS FINISH
– Sharp fabric scissors 8” and small scissors for cutting details like 5” knife edge scissors.
– Paper scissors.
– Rotary cutter, ruler, and mat.
– Specialty blades, such as Pinking, Wavy, or Scallop (optional).
– Black Sharpie fine point marker and lead pencil with eraser.
– 5 yards of parchment paper
– Batting twin size minimum. Recommended is Hobbs Heirloom Premium Batting (80% cotton, 20% Polyester).
– 2 – 3 yards of quilt backing fabric.
–Timtex about 15″ x 18″ (optional).
– Iron and ironing surface (minimum of 18” wide) May be shared with other class members if not provided by group.
– Thimble for hand stitching.
– Small plastic baggie for scraps.
– Sewing machine (optional).
– Thread for machine work (if bringing one).
Lab Fee of $20 includes hand out, fabric, thread, and needle for initial projects.
Additional Supplies for sale in the classroom: hand dyed fabrics, hand dyed threads, decorative rotary cutter blades.
Here are a few images of what students have made in this class. Everyone has their own source of inspiration; no two works will be the same.