Toss the templates and trash the rulers! Fusing is free form art making at its best. Working with fusible web on fabric, discover fusing techniques like free cutting, strip fusing, confetti collage, playing blocks, and improvisational assemblage.
Because fusing is fast and free you quickly invent your own design language to explore. In this class you will create multiple pieces of fun, fast, free, fused fiber art and get loose, really loose. As an added bonus, learn tunes from the Chicago School of Fusing Glee Club and graduate with an advanced degree in Fusology. $20 Kit Fee.
Supplies Participants Should Bring for a 2 Day Workshop:
- 6 yards of regular weight Wonder-Under fusible web (paper backed, #805). Please DO NOT BRING HEAT ‘N BOND or STEAM A SEAM
- ¼ yard each of 8 different colors of washed fabric (yellow, orange, red, fuchsia, turquoise, blue, violet, green) DO NOT BRING FABRIC WITH A PERMANENT PRESS FINISH. Pick hand-dyed or batik fabrics. Hand-dyed or batik fabrics work best in raw edge fusing. (Printed fabrics will show a white line around the raw edge of the fabric.) I will have some hand dyed fabrics for sale in the classroom.
- Sharp fabric scissors 8″ and 5″
- Paper scissors
- Rotary cutter, ruler, and mat
- Specialty rotary cutter blades, such as Pinking, Wavy, or Scallop
- Batting measuring about 48″ x 48″ (estimate, it does not have to be exactly this size). Hobbs Heirloom Premium Batting (80% cotton, 20% Polyester) is recommended
- Quilt backing fabric (cotton) measuring about 2 yards
- Fine point black sharpie marker or lead pencil
- Teflon pressing sheet (optional)
- Timtex about 15″ x 18″ (optional)
- Iron and ironing surface (minimum of 18″ wide) May be shared with other class members if not provided by group
- Thimble for hand stitching
- Tweezers (optional)
Kit Fee of $20 includes hand out, fabric, and thread for initial projects
Laura Wasilowski 324 Vincent Place Elgin, IL 60123