A well placed embroidery stitch brings a quilt to life. It lends the quilt surface color, pattern, definition, and texture.
You’ll create several small art quilts while learning an improvisational method of construction with fused fabrics. These fused quilts act as your canvas for hand stitchery and take your work from flat to fabulous!
With the emphasis on basic embroidery stitches like running, seed, French knots, and lazy daisy, students will also learn more complex hand stitches, stitch combinations, and stitch variations. Learn about embroidery stitch choices, placement, and inventing new stitch ideas.
Create new work with the ease of fusing and entice the viewer closer to your art with free form, unfettered embroidery.
(No sewing machine needed!)
$25 Kit Fee includes: flower patterns, stitch handout, hand-dyed fabrics, thread sampler, and embroidery needles.
Supplies Participants Should Bring:
– 6 yards of Wonder Under fusible web (paper backed, #805) DO NOT BRING HEAT AND BOND OR STEAM A SEAM
– Fabric:1/4 yard each of 8 different colors of washed fabric (yellow, orange, red, fuchsia, turquoise, blue, violet, green) DO NOT BRING FABRIC WITH A PERMANENT PRESS FINISH. Pick batik or hand-dyed fabrics. I will have hand dyed fabrics available for sale from Artfabrik.
– Size 3, 5, 8 or 12 pearl cotton embroidery threads in a variety of colors. I will have hand dyed threads available for sale from Artfabrik.
– Small sharp scissors. Small, 5″ knife blade scissors work well.
– Paper scissors for cutting fusible web
– Rotary cutter, ruler, and mat
– Specialty rotary cutter blades, such as Pinking, Wavy, or Scallop (optional)
– Black Sharpie Fine Point marker
– pencil with eraser
– 3 yards of parchment paper
– 48″ x 48″ (estimate, it does not have to be exactly this size). I recommend Hobbs Heirloom Premium Batting (80% cotton, 20% Polyester)
– 2 yards (estimate, it does not have to be exactly this size) of quilt backing fabric.
– 1/2 yard of Timtex, Peltex, or fast2fuse® stiff interfacing
– Iron and ironing surface (share with other class members if not provided by group)
– Teflon pressing sheet (optional)
– Tweezers (optional)
– Small plastic bag for fabric scraps
– Sewing machine (optional)
Laura Wasilowski 324 Vincent Place Elgin , IL 60123