Here are a few tips on how to manage those glorious thread skeins from Artfabrik.
1. Skeins of thread from Artfabrik arrive at your house in a pretty twist. If you want to see the color sequence and spacing, just slide the end loop with the tag out of the other end loop. Most threads gradate or change colors every 2 – 3 inches.
2. The information tag is attached to the ends of the thread. It tells you size, colorway, and my contact information.
3. To return the thread to it’s pretty twist, stick a fore finger into each end loop of the skein. Twist the skein with one finger until the twist is tight. Then slip the end loop with the tag into the other end loop. The skein will twist back on itself.
4. To store the thread and make it easy for hand stitching, you’ll need a metal binder ring or smooth bracelet. Open the skein and place an end loop into the center of the metal ring. Then pull the other thread loop with the tag through the first loop to secure it around the ring.
5. Now comes the scary part. You have to cut the thread. Insert your scissors and cut the skein in half at the far loop. This way the thread is the right length for stitching and won’t get tangled. You may want to retain the information tag on the thread end.
6. To remove a strand of thread for stitching, gently pull a strand from the center of the skein where it wraps around the ring. Pull the thread slowly and it won’t tangle.
7. Now get out there and do some stitching!