This project is designed so we can experiment with lots of stitch combinations along the way. As we progress, you’ll find current directions added to the Flower Vase Tutorial page.
Also, each embroidery stitch will have a link to the Embroidery Stitch Directions for that stitch. And I’ll suggest thread colors but you can do whatever you please!
Here’s what you’ll need to begin your Flower Vase project on wool:
- Wool or other fabric measuring 6″ x 7″ for the background
- Size 8 white (or other light colored) pearl cotton thread to outline the shape of the vase
- Size 3 hand embroidery needles
- Flower Vase pattern PDF downloaded and printed
- Size 8 pearl cotton thread in blue and red
- Place the fabric vertically so it is 6″ across by 7″ high.
- Position the vase tracing about 1″ up from the bottom of the fabric.
- Pin the tracing into place and follow the directions on the Flower Vase pattern to transfer the vase shape to the background fabric.
- Stitch 3 rows of Chain Stitches across the base of the vase using the blue thread.
- Fill in each loop of the Chain Stitch with a French Knot using the red thread.
- Enjoy your first stitch combination!